Your holiday trip to visit family and friends is quickly approaching. But as much as you’re looking forward to spending time with the people you love, if you have varicose veins, you may be anxious, too. For people with varicose veins, trips of four hours or more by plane, car or train can intensify pain and discomfort, and even pose a risk for blood clots. Fortunately, there are things you can do to get some relief from varicose veins while traveling.
Vein disease and your risk during travel
Certain conditions and diseases coupled with vein disease can increase your chances of developing a blood clot during air travel. Take extra care if you:
- Take oral contraceptives
- Are pregnant
- Have cancer
- Had recent surgery
- Are obese
- Have a history of blood clots
- Are genetically predisposed to blood clots
Travel safer and more comfortably with varicose veins
With a little planning, you can keep symptoms in check, lessen your risk for blood clots and feel more relaxed and comfortable during your trip:
- Wake up your calves by doing “heel lifts.” Lift your heel like you’re getting on your tippy toes to engage your calf muscle. This allows blood to pump from the leg to the heart, which is key for vein health. Do as many heel lifts as possible, especially if getting out of your seat is difficult during the flight.
- Wear loose clothing to avoid a tight fit in the waist area. Tight clothing creates a tourniquet effect, which increases pressure on the abdomen and hinders the venous system’s ability to move blood from the legs back to the heart.
- Go for H20 instead of alcohol and other drinks that can dehydrate you, especially when flying. Drinking plenty of water helps you stay hydrated, which keeps vein walls from narrowing and can prevent constipation, which also stresses the venous system.
- Wear compression stockings to improve blood flow from the legs to the heart.
Advanced, specialized vein care in Rockford
If you have a trip coming up and you’re concerned about traveling with varicose veins or spider veins, contact Northern Illinois Vein Clinic today. With advanced ultrasound diagnostics, we can accurately detect vein disease and recommend the most effective treatments to eliminate a wide variety of venous issues. Dr. Rimas Gylvidis leads our team of vein specialists, each of whom are fully committed to helping people look and feel their best, without the worry and discomfort of vein problems.
To schedule your appointment, call 855-591-1357 or click here to use our online form.