Endovenous laser ablation (EVLA) is a quick, minimally invasive, nonsurgical treatment that eliminates varicose veins with little to no downtime and no scarring. It is the state-of-the-art treatment for those suffering from varicose veins in large part because it involves no painful, complicated methods that were often used in the past, particularly the surgical “vein stripping” approach.
What are the benefits of EVLA?
EVLA treatment to eliminate varicose veins offers a wide range of advantages including:
- A brief, minimally invasive outpatient procedure done in our office
- Quickly relieves painful symptoms, like aching and heaviness
- No large incisions, incisional pain or scarring
- Little to no downtime after treatment
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved appearance in your legs
Who is a candidate for EVLA?
Anyone who suffers from the painful and unsightly symptoms of varicose veins, or from uncomfortable symptoms associated with underlying vein disease, can be a candidate for EVLA. If varicose veins are affecting the quality of your life and keeping you from participating in the activities you love, EVLA could be the right treatment for you.
How is EVLA performed?
Beginning with injecting a local anesthetic into the leg, EVLA involves inserting a tiny, flexible catheter into the vein through a small incision, guided by ultrasound imaging. The laser-tipped catheter then emits light energy, which heats the inner walls of the vein, forcing it to close. This will force the flow of blood to reroute to healthier veins. Over time, the closed vein is eventually absorbed naturally by your body.
Aftercare for EVLA
Overall, EVLA has an impressive 98 percent success rate. Because EVLA is an outpatient procedure, you will be able to return home the same day as your treatment. You can return to your normal routine by the next day. A few things to keep in mind:
- Most discomfort lasts less than 36 hours.
- Temporary mild soreness and bruising are normal.
- Wearing compression stockings for several weeks after the procedure is standard to help reduce swelling and accelerate recovery.
- Avoid vigorous activities for a few days after the procedure.
For more information on EVLA, call the vein specialists at Northern Illinois Vein Clinic today at (815) 315-1894 to schedule your next appointment or sign up for a free vein screening on Tuesday, October 6th or Thursday, October 22nd, 10 am – 4 pm.